Content is provided by the firm.For over 30 years, Bondurant, Mixson & Elmore, LLP (“BME”) has litigated and consistently won large and complex cases in both state and federal courts. BME ranks as one of the best firms in the country for major business litigation and has achieved exceptional results for its business clients, both as plaintiffs and defendants.
Emmet Bondurant has been recognized as one of America’s Top Ten Trial Lawyers by the National Law Journal. From 2004 - 2008, his peers voted him as the number one lawyer in Georgia, and in 2009, Emmet was selected by Best Lawyers as the “Bet-the-Company” litigator of the year.
H. Lamar “Mickey” Mixson has been recognized by Chambers & Partners, USA as one of Georgia’s highest ranked Commercial Litigators. The publication described him as “particularly good at securities work,” as having “a superb touch with juries,” and as a “creative and diligent trial lawyer” in complex litigation. Mickey recently won the second largest jury verdict of 2008 as ranked by LawyersUSA.
A recent survey of attorneys by Atlanta Magazine ranked 14 BME partners among the best attorneys in Georgia, and an independent research group (Chambers & Partners) referred to the firm as “without doubt a top-tier firm” and “one of the best choices for complex litigation, wherever the case is based.”
BME was counsel for business plaintiffs in both the largest verdict and the largest settlement in Georgia history:
• BME won a $454 million jury verdict – the largest in Georgia history – for its clients in a breach of fiduciary action against Time Warner, Inc. BME successfully defended that verdict through the Georgia court system and on certiorari to the United States Supreme Court. The judgment was collected in full—with interest—for a total of approximately $700 million.
• In 2008, BME obtained a $281 million jury verdict against Turner Broadcasting System, Inc. for breaching an agreement to sell two Atlanta sports franchises and an arena. The jury award is one of the largest compensatory damage awards in Georgia history and the second highest verdict in the entire U.S. for 2008.
• BME achieved a settlement valued at over $192 million for a class of plaintiffs in a race-discrimination suit against a major company. This represented the largest settlement of any type in the history of Georgia and the largest settlement of a private discrimination suit in United States history.
Representing corporate defendants, BME has achieved numerous complete defense verdicts and dismissals, including a verdict recognized by the National Law Journal as one of the “Top Ten Defense Verdicts.”
• BME Successfully represented Weyerhaeuser Co. in overturning a $458 million judgment on appeal. As a result of the reversal, the judgment was entered in favor of Weyerhaeuser.
• BME won a complete defense verdict for Wylie Laboratories in a jury trial where plaintiff claimed in excess of $150 million in damages (recognized by National Law Journal as one of the Top Ten Defense Verdicts for 2000).
• BME defeated class action RICO and fraud claims on behalf of our client, including reversal in United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit of the trial court’s grant of class certification.
• BME won a complete defense verdict for Box USA on business tort claims in which plaintiff sought $120 million in damages.