Content is provided by the firm.
Loren Kieve has a demonstrated record of success in resolving challenging, high stakes disputes. He has represented and advised major U.S. and foreign companies and individuals in a broad variety of trials, appeals and settlements, including securities, insurance coverage, construction, environmental, derivative, financial services, commodities trading, antitrust, contract, RICO, insurance sales practices, products liability, defamation, personal injury, employment, discrimination, real estate, mine disaster, Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and other commercial cases. His cases regularly involve complex foreign parties and issues, major government contract matters, including civil and criminal false claims act cases, and formal and informal administrative proceedings and other inquiries.
He has represented both plaintiffs and defendants in nationwide class actions, and arbitrated both international and domestic cases.
He is a Fellow of the Litigation Counsel of America. For the thirteenth year in a row, San Francisco Magazine and Law & Politics Magazine have named him as one of the top “Super Lawyers” in the Bay Area. He has been given the highest peer-review “AV® Preeminent” rating in both legal ability and ethical standards by Martindale Hubbell for over 25 years. He is also rated a “10” (the highest available rating) by Avvo. When he practiced in Washington, The Washingtonian magazine listed him among the city's leading lawyers.
University of New Mexico School of Law
Editor, New Mexico Law Review
Editor, Natural Resources Journal
Teaching Assistant in Constitutional Law
National Moot Court Competition (best brief and best oral argument)
(B.A., Jurisprudence, with honours, 1971)
Partner, Quinn Emanuel Urquhart Oliver & Hedges LLC, 2002 - 2008
Principal Vice President, Assistant General Counsel, Manager of Legal Department and Head of the Department’s Litigation and Claims Group, Bechtel Group, Inc., Feb. 2000 - March 2002
Partner, Debevoise & Plimpton, 1987 - 2000
Associate, Partner, Steptoe & Johnson, 1974 - 1987
Law clerk to Hon. Oliver Seth, United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit, 1973 - 74
Law clerk to Hon. Edmund L. Palmieri, United States District Judge (S.D.N.Y.), sitting by designation on the United States District Court for the District of New Mexico and on the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, 1973, 1974 (simultaneously with the clerkship for Judge Seth)
The District of Columbia
U.S. Supreme Court
Nine federal circuit courts
Ten federal district courts
American Bar Foundation:
· Sustaining Life Fellow (by invitation only)
American Bar Association:
· Member, Coordinating Committee on Civil Justice Reform, 1990-93
· Founding Member, Standing Committee on Gun Violence, 1993-94
· Member, Standing Committee on Federal Judicial Improvements, 2008-2011
· Member, Segment Value Membership Initiative, 2008
· California State Bar Delegate to the House of Delegates, 2009-2013
· Liaison to the Standing Committee on Governmental Affairs, 2009-2010
· Member, Task Force on Federal Pleading Standards, 2010-12
· Member, Commission on Immigration, 2011-13
· Member, House of Delegates “Delegate Involvement Committee,” 2011-12
· Member, House of Delegates “Select Committee,” 2012-13
ABA Litigation Section (selected positions):
· Vice-chair, Environmental Law Committee, 1988-89
· Co-chair, Federal Procedure Committee, 1989-92
· Member, Special Review Committee on the Federal Civil Rules, 1990-92
· D.C. Circuit Member, Task Force on District Court Advisory Groups under the Civil Justice Reform Act of 1990, 1991
· Co-chair, Task Force on the Justice System, 1994-95
· Chair, Federal Initiatives Task Force, 1995-96
· Nominating Committee, 1996-97, 1998-99, 2005-2006
· Council Member, 1996-99
· Member, Civil Practice Standards Task Force (1996-98); Discovery Practice Standards Task Force (1997-99); Federal Practice Task Force (1998-02)
· Liaison, Federal Judicial Conference, 1996-99
· Liaison, Civil Rules Advisory Committee of the Federal Judicial Conference, 2000-01
· Life Fellow, 2004
· Federal Practice Task Force, 2002-2015 (co-chair, 2002-2009)
· Co-chair, Working Group on U.S.-Canada Cross-Border Class Action Protocols, 2008- 2011.
· Representative to the Civil Rules Advisory Committee on restyling the Fed. R. Civ. P.,
· Co-chair, Special Committee on the Future of Civil Litigation, 2009-2010
· Co-chair, Task Force on Attorney-Client Privilege, 2010-2012
· Regional co-chair, Judicial Intern Opportunity Program, 2014-15
California State Bar:
· California State Bar Delegate to the House of Delegates, 2009-2013
· Member, Board of Trustees, District Four (San Francisco and Marin Counties), 2010-2013
· Member, Governance in the Public Interest Task Force, 2010-2011
· Member, Task Force on Admissions Regulation Reform, 2012-2014
National Native American Bar Association:
· Member, 2012-2014
· Member. Board of Directors, 2014-2015
Other Professional Associations:
Member, District of Columbia Federal Court Advisory Committee under the Civil Justice Reform Act of 1990 (Chair, Trial Practice Subcommittee), 1992-94
Member, District of Columbia Circuit Judicial Conference, 1998
Honorary Member, COMBAR, the Commercial Bar Association, London, U.K.,
Founding Member, American Constitution Society (Northern California Chapter), 2004-present
Member, Transition Team, California Attorney General Kamala Harris, 2010-11
Member, Diversity Law Institute, 2012-present
Member, The Trial Law Institute, 2012-present
Other Affiliations and Awards
· Trustee, Chair (1997-2001, 2007-2011, 2011-2013) and Executive Committee member (1997-2011), Institute of American Indian and Alaska Native Culture and Arts Development (“IAIA”), Santa Fe, New Mexico, 1994-present (U.S. Presidential Appointment with Senate Confirmation). The IAIA is one of three congressionally chartered institutions of higher learning (along with Howard and Gallaudet Universities) and oversees four- and two-year degree programs for Native Americans and Alaska Natives as well as the Museum of Contemporary Native American Art. During Mr. Kieve’s first tenure as Chair, the IAIA built and moved onto its new campus. During his second tenure as Chair, the IAIA constructed four new major campus construction projects and greatly expanded its curriculum. In his third (current) position as chair, the IAIA is celebrated its 50th Anniversary with a major fundraising campaign and constructed a welcoming center and administration building.
· Stanford University “Multicultural Alumni Hall of Fame” Inductee, 2012.
· “Living the Dream” award, Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights of the Bay Area, 2011.
· Member and audit and nominating committee member, National Board of Directors, Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights Under Law, 2007-present.
· Member, director (2004-present) and co-chair (2005-2007), Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights of the Bay Area, San Francisco, California, 2003-present.